Tuesday, May 17, 2005

The semi-finals

Saturday 14:00 : Anatoly Karpov 1,5-0,5 Jean Luc Chabanon
An unforgettable moment but a one-sided match. I chose his favourite territory, that is to say, a solid and technical game. Almost like Borg in the 70s, in some sort of way…
In the first game, after some unbelievable acrobatic exploits, I obtain a position which will remain equal until the end. However, the lack of time plays a crucial role until the last second. And yes, I lost on time. My flag fell.
In the second game, I made an error in the opening. Karpov gets an early advantage but after a long struggle I managed to grab half a point.
The match is lost but my honour is safe.

Saturday 16:00 : Hicham Hamdouchi 1,5-0,5 Laurent Fressinet
This second semi-final was much awaited in view of the strength and reputation of the two grandmasters. Laurent starts with the white pieces. But Hicham spits fire with his Dragon defence. (And yes, this is really the name of the opening). The game is fought with the advantage swinging from side to side. At the end, the game is drawn. The public, very excited by this match, expect an equally electric second half. However, this time the Moroccan uses the strategy of the desert. Expert in tactics and rhythm changes in positions, he surprises young Lolo who gradually heads towards defeat. Hicham will be the second finalist.

No comments: